The Burnside Bridgehead is currently undergoing a generational transformation from a series of vacant buildings and empty lots to a neighborhood that unites community and commerce.
Slate is at the center of that transformation. On this half-acre lot at the corner of NE MLK Jr. Blvd. and Couch, UD+P and Beam Development teamed up to create a 10-story blend of "live" and "work" space that includes retail on the ground floor, flexible office space, and well-designed residential units.
By incorporating thoughtful design with post-tension concrete construction, the structure blends with the surrounding neighborhood while helping to re-energize the Burnside Bridgehead. The staggered façade incorporates large windows that draw fresh air and abundant natural light into each unit while creating visual interest from the street. The building has achieved high standards for energy efficiency and is LEED Gold Certified by the U.S. Green Building Council.
Sitting at the intersection of two active transportation corridors, Slate is one of the most accessible locations in the Portland region.
Architect: Works Progress Architecture (W.PA)
Builder: Yorke & Curtis
- 75 residences above three floors of commercial space
- All residences feature polished concrete floors, gas range, air conditioning, and dishwasher as well as built-in closets with shelves, drawers, and garment rods to maximize storage
- Terrace, balcony and patio offerings ranging from 25 to 100 sq ft
- Shared resident amenities include fitness studio, game room, outdoor grill, and pet wash station
- 14 Independent floorplans offer "something for everybody" variance in layouts
- Managed locally by UD+P