When the owner of Shleifer Furniture was planning to retire, he approached UD+P about the sale of two properties in Portland’s Central Eastside neighborhood, just across the river from Downtown.
One property, located at 509 SE Grand, was home to Shleifer Furniture’s retail store for 80 years until its closure in 2016. The other, located four blocks away, was originally built for coffee production and warehouse space before serving as Shleifer Furniture’s warehouse.
Built in 1936, Coffee Warehouse is a 15,000 sq ft masonry building. In 2016, UD+P and Beam Development jointly acquired the building, which had long suffered from deferred maintenance. In Spring 2018 we completed a comprehensive core and shell renovation. Coffee Warehouse is now an attractively restored and upgraded space for light industrial, creative office, and retail uses. The building’s master tenant, Revant Optics, is a Portland-based company specializing in the manufacturing and sales of replacement lenses and sunglasses frames. Revant’s headquarters, manufacturing, and sales operations occupy the building.
Coffee Warehouse marks the fourth project UD+P has completed in the Central Eastside. We are excited to breathe new life into this historic structure so it can contribute to the success of one of Portland’s most vital and longstanding industrial and employment districts.
Core and Shell Renovation Construction / Project Management: Siteworks Design-Build
Architect: Works Progress Architecture (W.PA)
- Open floor plans with high ceilings
- Large windows and generous natural light
- Good transit access with the Red Line MAX, streetcar, and No. 6 bus nearby
- A short walk to restaurants, bars, coffee shops and a burgeoning mix of retail shops on Grand, MLK, Morrison, and other nearby streets
- Situated in the Central Eastside among a growing cluster of high tech, creative services, and professional services firms